The best way to keep from getting poison ivy is to take some precautions. Check out these easy tips:
Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are the most common plants that cause an allergic skin rash that is often referred to as “poison ivy.” Urushiol, an oil contained on the plant’s leaves and in its sap, causes the rash, which is usually accompanied by small blisters and severe itching.
You can get poison ivy by:
A reaction to poison ivy, oak or sumac usually occurs within 12 to 48 hours of exposure and can last up to 8 weeks. The severity of the rash depends on how much of the sap gets on your skin.
Mild cases of poison ivycan be treated with home remedies, such as:
The best way to keep from getting poison ivy is to take some precautions:
If you think you have been exposed to poison ivy, oak or sumac, wash your skin thoroughly with degreasing soap and water as soon as possible. Sporting goods and outdoor equipment stores also sell specialty soaps that wash the remnants of poison ivy from skin and clothing.
Summer Splash - Tips for Safe & Healthy Swimming
Food Storage & Safety Tips for Your Outdoor Picnic or Cookout
Summer Sun Safety Tips
6 Super Smoothie Recipes You Should Try
Was this page helpful to you?
Your Preferred Center
Your Preferred Physician
Popular Patient First Health Matters Articles
Articles by category
Articles by tag